Sunday 10 February 2013

Review: The Devil Inside (2012)

The Devil Inside
IMDB rate: 4,0
Genre: Possession, Found-Footage

When I first saw the trailer of this movie I thought it would be a really good movie. Boy, was I disappointed. The trailer shows ever reasonable scare in the movie, so everything that happens, is not surprising anymore. I already thought the scary moments where very rare, but because of the trailer, they were also predictable, which is quite a shame.

The 'found footage' genre is really popular right now, and I really enjoy those movies most of the time. But because of the increasing popularity, everything is becoming the same. Most of the found footage movies are about a invisible spirit or demon, and this becomes a bit boring. Every story line is the same,  the scares are becoming predictable, just because of the overusing of this concept. We all know the found footage movies are fake, so why bothering for found footage when you can make a good quality movie? Maybe there are still surprising found footage movies, I only know that I haven't seen one in a long time.


The Devil Inside is about a woman (Isabella) who travels to Italy to do a documentary about her mother who in 1989 supposedly killed three clergy who were performing an exorcism on her at the time. When she gets there she meets two priests who also perform exorcisms on possessed people. Isabella has a camera man with her who films and documents everything. They soon find that Isabella's mother is still possessed, but when they try to do the exorcism, they find that the demon inside Isabella's mother can jump from one to another.

When I watched this movie, I thought there was a lot of resembling between The Exorcist and this movie. To the point that some things seemed literally stolen from it. I saw a funny quote on IMDB and I think it's quite relevant: 'Just watch the exorcist and shake the tv around'.
I think that this movie wouldn't be that bad if the story wasn't that predictable, unbelievable and boring. They can make a lot of this movie, but they kinda screwed it up in my opinion. The acting was not even that bad, besides from the character Isabella. But there still wasn't any chemistry between the characters, so you couldn't care less what happens to them.


And I didn't even started about the ending yet. I won't give any spoilers, but seriously? That was the best you could do? The ending seems like it was made this way so people are wanting to see a part 2, but the complete movie was so bad, that they failed miserably at it. It seemed like the idea came from that scary youtube ghost movie in the car (search for it if you don't know what I'm talking about).

Luckily this movie only lasted 1 hour and 15 minutes, so it was not a complete evening ruiner. All I can say is, don't waste money or time on this movie. Maybe if you're a die hard fan of exorcism movies, or you like the found footage genre, you might like it.

My personal rate: 2,5/10



No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..