Saturday 13 April 2013

Review: Idle Hands (1999)

Idle Hands
IMDB rate: 6,0
Genre: Comedic

I searched for this movie for such a long time. I've watched it at least a thousand times and it still doesn't bore me. I really like this movie, and I think it's really underrated.

Seventeen year old slacker Anton Tobias (Devon Sawa) wakes up one Halloween morning to discover that both of his parents have been turned into two headless Halloween decorations. After speaking to his equally irresponsible friends, Mick (Seth Green) and Pnub (Elden Henson), he discovers that his right hand has a blood-thirsty mind of it's own and is hell-bent on wreaking havoc whether he likes it or not.


The first reason why I love this movie is because of Seth Green. I absolutely love Seth Green, in almost every role he plays (the exception is Austin Powers, I hate those movies). When he plays in a movie I think the movie becomes at least 10 times funnier.
I'm not really familiar with Devon Sawa, I know him for Final Destination, but that's about it. He did do an excellent performance though, it was almost like he had a real possessed hand. It's the same story with Elden Henson, I saw him in The Butterfly Effect and I liked him there but I don't believe he became very famous. Jessica Alba also plays a big role in this movie and I know her from a few movies like Sin City, Machete, The Eye and Fantastic Four and such. I think she's a very good actress, and it was very noticeable in a movie with relatively bad acting that she really stands out.

The music in this movie is also great, it's fun to hear all the music I listened to a few years ago, like Rob Zombie. Something that I also liked were the cameo's from Tom DeLonge (Blink 182) and The Offspring. It brought back a lot of memories for me. In the background of the movie you see several horror movies playing like Dawn of the Dead and Night of the Living Dead. It's all these small details that make this movie fun to watch.


When you watch the trailer you will probably expect a terrible movie, but it's really good. It seems like a teenage stoner movie like American Pie when you begin watching it, but it turns out completely different. It's not a movie that you have to take serious, because if you do, you will find it a terrible movie. But it's just a good laugh movie with some horror stuff in it. It's pretty violence and it contains some good horror things but the main story is just a comedy.

I like anything about this movie, the jokes were amazing, I heard that most of the dialogues were improvised and that makes this movie even better. The acting was not always good, but it was never annoying. There is a lot of chemistry between the characters, and you can just notice that they were having a lot of fun on the set. Or you watch the extras and see it ;). The music is really good and fits the movie perfectly. I just don't know anything bad to say about this movie.


Like I already said, this movie is not for die-hard horror fans. This movie is supposed to be taken lightly and not like a real horror movie. For people who like a laugh in a 'horror' movie, go watch this. It's amazing.

My personal rate: 8,5/10



No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..