Saturday 27 April 2013

Review: A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)

A Nightmare on Elm Street
IMDB rate: 5,1
Genre: Slasher

Today was the last day of watching all the A Nightmare on Elm Street movies. I was glad I finally reached the last movie, since watching all the movies became a bit boring after a while. Previously I watched the original movies 1 till 7, Freddy vs. Jason and last being this movie. 
After finishing this post I'll do a quick short post about my favorites and stuff. 

I must say that the first time I saw this movie I was quite impressed by it. But seeing it now I think it's somehow.. lame? I don't know how to explain it, but I think it's mainly because of the cinema experience. 


Death stalks the dreams of several young adults to claim it's revenge on the killing of Freddy Krueger. Chased and chastised by this finger-bladed demon, it is the awakening of old memories and the denials of a past of retribution that spurns this hellish vision of a dreamlike state and turns death into a nightmare reality. 

This movie is totally different from the original movie. I won't say this movie is better, but I do think that these movies are equally good. In this movie there is a much better explanation about Freddy. What happened, and why he became like this. It's nice seeing it in a visual way instead of thinking your own story next to it, like with the original. The story is slightly different, but I think I like it better this way. Things are much clearer now. I liked the modern twist given into it. The movie isn't an exact copy from the original one, which is a good thing. There are new things added to, some things are finally explained and some unimportant things were taken out. The things that I didn't like so much where Freddy Krueger himself. I thought he looked a bit lame this way. His voice is much darker, and he even gives some sort of explanation sometimes about why he does this. He sometimes swishes a bit though. When he talks he sounds a bit lame sometimes, also, his face hardly moves. He's also really made into a pervert in this movie.
The movie is a lot darker than the original movie. I don't think this is a bad thing, because it made it a bit more scary. 

I liked the people who played the main characters. Like Kyle Gallner, I think he is a good actor and he played his role excellent. The same with Rooney Mara, I'm not really familiar with her but she's a good actress. Freddy Krueger is played by Jackie Earle Haley, and while I disliked the make-up, he played the role very well. It was convincing even though it doesn't seem like Freddy anymore. It's good that Robert Englund doesn't play the part anymore. I don't have anything against Robert Englund, but a fresh face is a nice thing to see.


I liked that they kept some of the original scenes in it. Like the scene pictured above, it's exactly the same as in the original one. Another famous scene you will recognize is the 'floating' death scene. It's almost the same and I think it would have been a shame if it wasn't in this movie. However, some people might hate it.

It's hard to compare the original and the remake to each other. Of course, the original is how it really began and it's hard to out top that, but I don't think the makers ever intended to overtop the original. I think their intention was to give a modern touch to the famous Freddy Krueger story. And to be honest, I think they did a fairly good job. This movie will never make it to my top 100 list though, but neither does the original movies. I think the A Nightmare on Elm Street movies have a good story, but in the original series it took 7 movies to get what Freddy was all about. In this remake a lot was explained in one go. Of course, still not how he is able to kill through nightmares. But it's still something. 


I hope they won't make a sequel to this movie. I think it's a perfect ending (except for the very last scene perhaps). If they will make sequels to this movie it will be the same as with the original series, it goes on and on and you know nothing more. I know many people who liked the original movies hated this remake. But in every remake there is a group of die-hard fans who will never give up on the originals and will hate the remakes. I personally like remakes because older movies never frighten me. It also hardly bothers me if a classic horror movie gets a remake. I always see it as a nice modern twist to a movie (of course there are many remakes that do suck, for example My Bloody Valentine). If you're not a die-hard original Freddy Krueger fan you will probably enjoy this movie, since it's a very decent horror. Don't get scared away from all the comments that are bringing down the movie. Even if you're not familiar with Freddy Krueger at all it will be a nice horror, since everything is perfectly explained in this movie.

My personal rate: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..