Saturday 8 June 2013

Review: Scream 2 (1997)

Scream 2
IMDB rate: 6,0
Genre: Slasher

I already said in my previous review that I couldn't wait to watch the sequels of Scream and well.. I immediately watched Scream 2 after writing that. I haven't seen Scream 3 or 4 yet though so I still have something to watch besides my little Saw two week marathon thingy. 

It was nice seeing this again and luckily I couldn't remember who the killer was so that was certainly a good thing. This way it was almost like I experienced it all for the first time again. I liked watching it again but it was certainly less entertaining than the first Scream movie. 


It has been two years since the tragic events at Woodsboro. Sidney Prescott and Randy Meeks are trying to get on with their lives, and are currently both students at Windsor College. Cotton Weary is out of prison, and is trying to cash in on his unfortunate incarceration. Gale Weathers has written a bestseller, "The Woodsboro Murders," which has been turned into the film, "Stab," starring Tori Spelling as Sidney. As the film's play date approaches, the cycle of death begins anew. Dewey Riley immediately flies out of Woodsboro to try to protect Sidney, his "surrogate sister". But in this sequel to the 1996 horror film, the number of suspects only goes down as the body count slowly goes up!

It was certainly an enjoyable movie but it can't tip the first movie. What I expected from this movie was the mocking of horror sequels and while it was indeed a bit mocking, it was mainly an alone standing movie. The start was very good, it did tell a lot about the obvious things in sequels and there also happened a lot that was similar to what they just described. But after a while that didn't happen anymore, at least, not noticeably. Like I already said, the movie itself was nice and fun to watch but it was not what I expected from it. 

The acting in this movie is great again, and again you see a lot of familiar faces in this movie. Faces that were not that familiar back then. For example, Sarah Michelle Gellar (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, The Grudge), Heather Graham (From Hell), Omar Epps (House M.D.) and quite some other famous actors too. The music in this movie is again great and while the dialogues were nothing special, it was not bad.


The story of the movie is quite predictable and obvious but it wasn't bothering or anything. This is mainly because that's what the first Scream movie was about, being a predictable, cliche-filled horror movie. The sequel absolutely fulfilled this purpose. I liked this movie less because after a while it got a bit boring, it was not even because everything was so predictable, it was just going to slow. Also, if you have the killer knocked-out, someone who has been murdering everyone you know, you absolutely pull of his mask! Not only to know who he is, but also to know if the person is waking up again or not. This was one thing that bothered me a lot, a horror cliche they shouldn't have let in.

The kills in this movie were more interesting though, it contained a bit more gore and if it came to the killing scenes this movie would have been better than the original. Unfortunately the story line was kinda boring so that's why I don't prefer this sequel over the original.

Now the sequel rules:
1. The death total is always greater.
2. The murder scenes are always much more elaborate, with more blood and gore.
3. Never, ever under any circumstance assume that the killer is dead.

Words to live by if you ask me.


For a sequel it's certainly a good movie. As you already know, sequels are most of the time terrible but this one was actually quite good. It was definitely not better than the original but it was good enough.

I'm excited to watch the next Scream movies this week, but I guess I'll only watch Scream 3 since I don't own Scream 4 yet. Perhaps I'll find it cheap somewhere.

My personal rate: 7,5

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..