Saturday 20 July 2013

Review: Dead Silence (2007)

Dead Silence
IMDB rate: 6,0
Genre: Ghost

I remember when I first saw the trailer of this movie in 2006, I was maybe 14 years old and I could not be more excited for this movie. The first time I saw it I almost pissed my pants because it was so damn scary. I believe I watched it with some friends and I really liked the movie. Personally, I'm terrified of dolls, so this movie was the ultimate scare-source for me. I really think there are too little killer doll movies, or clowns whatsoever. Useless information but I remember that after the first time I watched it my friends put a doll on my bed when I went to the toilet, so as you can imagine, I screamed my lungs out (my tongue would have been eaten by Mary Shaw if she was real).


Every town has it's own ghost story, and a local folktale around Ravens Fair is about a ventriloquist named Mary Shaw. After she went mad in the 1940s, she was accused of kidnapping a young boy who yelled out in one of her performances that she was a fraud. Because of this she was hunted down by townspeople who in the ultimate act of revenge, cut out her tongue and then killed her. They buried her along with her "children", a handmade collection of vaudeville dolls, and assumed they had silenced her forever. However, Ravens Fair has been plagued by mysterious deaths around them after Mary Shaws collection has returned from their graves and have come to seek revenge on people that killed her and their families. Far from the pall of their cursed hometown, newlyweds Jamie and Lisa Ashen thought they had established a fresh start, until Jamie's wife is grotesquely killed in their apartment. Jamie returns to Ravens Fair for the funeral, intent on unraveling the mystery of Lisa's death.

I know that many people dislike Dead Silence but I really like the movie. It contains dolls, is scary, good acting, impressive music and an interesting story. In most of these movies there's always something wrong, or terrible acting or it's absolutely not scary. Or whatever else. What I mean is, I don't think there's anything wrong with this movie, but I must admit since I've seen this movie a thousand times already, that it's not that fascinating anymore. It's still a good movie though.


The acting is amazing. I'm not very familiar with Ryan Kwanten but I think he was excellent. Also Amber Valetta and Bob Gunton were both amazing. Donnie Wahlberg was good too but I think someone else would have fitted the role better. 

I like the way the movie is made, it's a very dark movie where almost everything is in black and white and the only noticeable color is red. It gives a very cool effect on the movie. 
The buildings chosen for the movie are very beautiful. Especially the abandoned lake house looks amazing, it's sad that it's not a real house. 

The dolls are scary as hell, especially the clown doll. It's the ultimate scary combination: dolls and clowns. Also, the doll Billy from the Saw movies makes a small appearance too. 


Brilliant movie, really recommendable. I think it's the ultimate scary doll movie besides the Child's Play movies. Great movie that's quite scary when watching it the first time.

My personal rate: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..