Friday 30 August 2013

Review: Joy Ride (2001)

Joy Ride
IMDB rate: 6,5
Genre: Survival, Revenge

Today I finally watched the movie Joy Ride. I've bought this movie quite some time ago, but I never got around watching it, so I guess it was time for me to watch it! I also own the sequel Joy Ride 2, and I have the feeling that I've seen that one before, but I'm not really sure yet. Will find out eventually, but I have the feeling that's not a very good movie. Anyway, for now I'll just write a review about the first part!


College student Lewis decides to drive across the country to see Venna, a friend who doesn't know that Lewis is interested in her romantically. Unfortunately for his plans, Lewis gets saddled with his raucous-spirited older brother, Fuller, whose on-the-road pranks get the brothers and Venna sucked into a nightmare when a psychotic truck-driver takes offense.

I actually quite liked this movie. It was very tensive, but not very scary. I kept wondering if they escaped the guy or not, or what the next step of him would be. It was really fun to watch.

The acting is very good. The main characters are being played by Leelee Sobieski, Paul Walker and Steve Zahn. It's kinda funny to see Steve Zahn in a horror movie since he mostly plays funny roles, but even in this movie he's the crazy one. I don't really think he fitted the role, but it was acceptable. Paul Walker is an excellent actor and I seriously don't get why he keeps continuing those rubbish Fast & Furious movies because he can do so much better than that. Steve Zahn and Paul Walker unfortunately were not very convincing as brothers. They don't resemble each other for one bit.
I've only seen Leelee Sobieski in the remake of The Wicker Man and we all know how that movie turned out.. that remake is too rubbish to discuss but I must admit that her acting was decent in this movie.


The movie is fun to watch, but there are quite some bothering moments in this movie. For example, why do they not turn the CB off? Why don't they call the police? Why not stay in more populated places? The main characters make quite some dumb decisions for college students. But I'll ignore these things because they were not very bothering in the movie.

The movie is quite simple, you never see the villain, which makes everyone a suspect. You only hear a voice, which is quite an unsettling one (Fun fact: the voice is done by Ted Levine, the dude who played Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs, quite a scary thought huh?).
You also see very little of the happenings in the movie, you only hear the sounds.


Joy Ride was quite a surprising movie to me. It was written very well, it was quite tensive and there are hardly any cliches. I expected a bunch of teenagers that were challenging some guy but it was not like that at all. These are smart teenagers who pulled a prank on the wrong person. It can happen to anyone. I really enjoyed watching this one. I see it as the good version of 7eventy 5ive, but on the road this time.

My personal rate: 7,5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..