Wednesday 18 September 2013

Review: Thir13een Ghosts (2001)

Thir13een Ghosts
IMDB rate: 5,3
Genre: Ghosts, Haunted House

Thir13een Ghosts is one of those movies that I bought without knowing what it's about. It seemed like an interesting movie but after watching it I mainly thought it was a weird movie. Does not matter though, it's always nice seeing a new movie.

Arthur and his two children, Kathy and Bobby, inherit his Uncle Cyrus's estate: a glass house that serves as a prison to 12 ghosts. When the family, accompanied by Bobby's Nanny and an attorney, enter the house they find themselves trapped inside an evil machine "designed by the devil and powered by the dead" to open the Eye of Hell. Aided by Dennis, a ghost hunter, and his rival Kalina, a ghost rights activist out to set the ghosts free, the group must do what they can to get out of the house alive.


This movie tries to reach a combination between comedy and horror, but fails miserably at it. It's absolutely not funny. I must admit that casting Matthew Lillard is a excellent choice for such a role that (tries to) combine horror and comedy. I like him very much as an actor, in movies such as Scream, Without a Paddle and even Scooby Doo he was amazing. Even though I like him much as an actor, he is often playing the same character. The sarcastic, slightly funny guy.
I'm not very familiar with the other actors in this movie, besides Shannon Elizabeth. I think she's a reasonable actress, who played in a few reasonable movie. But with her it's the same case as with Matthew Lillard, she's always playing the same characters. A bit boring to be honest.

I liked the stories about the ghosts. They looked very scary and there stories were kinda cool too. My friend told me that in the Extras of the DVD there's an even bigger story about them, and I haven't seen it yet but I will check it out eventually. It sounds kinda cool.


The movie itself was not too great. It was very vague and confusing at times. I think the movie had some potential, but was not worked out the right way. What made me dislike this movie mostly were the special effects. To be honest, they looked terrible.

I don't think Thir13een Ghosts is a bad movie. It's just not a movie of my taste I guess.

Quite a short review! I don't have very much to say about this movie I guess. Maybe one day I will watch the Extras of this movie and make a new post about it. I must say that I had trouble concentrating on this movie, so perhaps I will watch it again someday and redo this review.
Thir13een Ghosts is a good concept for a haunted house movie. It's a bit haunted house and a bit futuristic. Quite a cool combination, but for some reason I did not like it very much.

My personal rate: 5/10




No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..