Tuesday 8 October 2013

Review: Evil Dead (2013)

Evil Dead
IMDB rate: 6,5
Genre: Possession

So it was finally time for me to watch The Evil Dead, the most anticipated movie of 2013. I've seen the original one only once, but I was very drunk at the time so unfortunately I can't remember much of it. I am planning to watch it again though, but in a sober state this time. I remember only small parts of the original Evil Dead so I can't compare the two unfortunately.
I did like this movie quite a lot. Very good one.

Five twenty-something friends become holed up in a remote cabin. When they discover a Book of the Dead, they unwittingly summon up dormant demons living in the nearby woods, which possess the youngsters in succession until only one is left intact to fight for survival.


Evil Dead is definitely my favorite movie of 2013 at the moment, but with that I must say that I haven't seen many 2013 horror movies. Besides that, it's quite a good movie. Very good special effects, good acting and quite a fun story.
With many horror movies, it feels like it takes awhile before it reaches an interesting point, a point where suddenly a lot is happening, but with this movie, it felt like it all was very quick, and I thought the movie must be almost over, but surprise, it was actually still in the beginning. A nice turn of events. This really is one of the good horror movies of the last few years. I know that many people dislike remakes, but I think that there are many people who also like this remake. Or well, remake, reboot, sequel, prequel, whatever it is, it's really a good movie.

What I loved in this movie were the amazing special effects. It's filled with blood and gore, just as Evil Dead is supposed to be. It was an amazing combination between awesome and brutal. The tension is builds up great, it was good at the beginning, but at the ending it was amazing. The make-up looks amazing. I read that they did not use any CGI in this movie, just like in the original one. I love that they did this, keeping true to the original. With these effects some parts reminded me of The Exorcist. Great feeling.


Sure, this movie is a bit over-the-top, and it's all a bit too much, but from what I can remember of the original Evil Dead, it was the same. That's what makes it the Evil Dead. I did not find it a scary movie, but a good shocker it was.

I really liked this movie a lot. It was very good and had incredibly images. The special effects looked incredibly good and the acting was amazing. The movie is definitely one of the better ones that I've seen in the last few years. I'm quite sure that even die-hard Evil Dead fans will enjoy this remake, because it's simply brilliant. Go watch it!

My personal rate: 8,5/10








1 comment:

  1. Great review. I got to say, I really enjoyed this movie. I was nervous going in that it wouldn't honor Sam Raimi's masterpiece, but thankfully it played plenty of homage to the original. While part of me does miss the humor, I don't mind that much since I got plenty of action and gore.

    I finally got around to reviewing this movie on my own novice, review-blog. I could always use an experienced critic's opinion to help me fine-tune my reviews. Check it out if you get the time.

    http://horrormoviemedication.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-evil-dead-no-more-messing-round-we.html#evil

    ReplyDelete

You might also like..