Thursday 28 November 2013

Short non-horror review: Catching Fire

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
IMDB rate: 8,3
Genre: Adventure

Okay, I'm sorry for this absolutely not-horror related movie, but yesterday I went to the cinema and I finally saw Catching Fire!
For those who remember one of my earlier posts (last year somewhere), I'm a big fan of the Hunger Games trilogy. I've read all three books multiple times and I absolutely loved them. I thought the first movie was good, but the beginning was a bit annoying. There wasn't much talking and the camera was shaking way too much. After awhile it became a lot better and it had a big resemblance with the book (that's quite rare these days). 

Well, I read the second book too and I was very curious about how they would recreate this in a movie. There's a lot of information, a lot is happening and it wasn't explained all too well in the books. What made me most curious was the look of the new arena, since I couldn't really visualize it myself. 
So I've seen the second movie now and seriously, I loved it. I think I cried 2/3 of the movie, not because there were so many sad moments, but because I loved it so much. I know, this sounds so terrible, but I really really liked it a lot.

First of all, I thought it was a lot better than the first part. There wasn't a shaking camera and there was just normal talking. I recognized every element from the book, and it was put in the movie in a magnificent way. For me it was just absolutely perfect. Most of the time when a book is made into a movie, they skip a lot of stuff or change important things, and with Catching Fire, this wasn't the case at all. Well, perhaps they made Johanna (Jena Malone) a little less brutal, but that wasn't bothering at all. At first I was afraid that it would be as with the Harry Potter books. I'm also a big Harry Potter fan and while I like the movies, it missed so many important things from the books. 


What was so great about it was the fact that they didn't skip any important elements. There were a lot scenes that were very small, but I think that's what made it great because not every scene has to take that long. And because of these short scenes, important things could be kept in the movie. 

The acting is amazing, again. I think that Jennifer Lawrence is a perfect casting choice for casting. I saw her in a few interviews and she's very funny and sarcastic, and that sarcastic thing is exactly what Katniss has. For me, Jennifer is just Katniss. Amazing actress. I like Liam Hemsworth, but his part wasn't very big in this movie, I'm very curious about his character in the next movie. Two other great actors were Sam Claflin and Woody Harrelson. 

Personally, I loved this movie. It was everything I hoped for and perhaps even better than that. The acting was great, the happenings were all amazingly shown and everything was in it. I truly can't wait until Mockingjay comes out next year. The only thing that bothers me terribly is the fact that they made two parts out of it. Which means, I still have to wait two years until I've finally seen every part. The book isn't much thicker than Catching Fire, so it's hard for me to imagine that they need to split the movie, but we'll see how that will turn out.

My personal rate: 9,5/10


No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..