Saturday 24 May 2014

Review: Triangle (2009)

Triangle
IMDB rate: 6,9
Genre: Slasher

Let's start talking about the most frustrating, interesting but also very weird movie from 2009; Triangle. I really have no idea what to say or think about this movie. I've watched it 3 or 4 times already and I'm still confused by it. Many parts are right, but so many aren't as well. 
Loop-films are almost impossible to make right, in fact, I personally think it's impossible to make since it's always wrong somewhere. 

!Massive spoilers ahead!


When Jess sets sail on a yacht with a group of friends, she cannot shake the feeling that there is something wrong. her suspicions are realized when the yacht hits a storm and the group is forced to board a passing ocean liner to get to safety, a ship Jess is convinced she's been on before. The ship appears deserted, the clock on board has stopped, but they are not alone... Someone is intent on hunting them down, one by one. And Jess unknowingly holds the key to end the terror.

I literally just finished watching this movie and I still feel all weird inside because of this movie. It's really a lot to think about, and it's making me confused as hell. There are so many reasons why this film isn't right, but there are also so many reasons why it's interesting. 

I have to warn you, I don't think from here on it will be spoiler-free, it's just too much to discuss, and I really hope that someone is able to give me a bit of clearance in this movie.
It might be uninteresting to read further since it's just a bunch of mistakes (?) that I noticed through the movie.

First of all, where did it start? Jess wouldn't be on the boat if it wasn't for the events that happened in the last scene. If the very first Jess went on the boat, her son would have been with her, meaning that the rest of the movie is incorrect. If he wasn't with the very first Jess, it would only mean that she's a fucked up mom who would go on a boat trip immediately after such an event. The crime scene would have been more weird too, since there would be a missing body. 

Second of all, the first Jess that WE FOLLOW through the entire movie is still the one at the end, in the end she knows what her reasons are for going on the boat (saving her son), but in the beginning of the movie she suddenly is clueless about what is going on on the boat. Even though it becomes clear that she has been through this quite a few times already (according to the many bodies). 


Another small strange thing, there apparently have been many Jess' people that all lost their necklace, leading to 10-20 of necklaces in the hole, but the keys of Jess are passed through for some reason. While their should be many of those too. One in the pocket of the new Jess, one dropped by an older Jess. 

Also, what's up with the fruit being all nasty in that short amount of time? If they (or the boat) is going through a loop, it might be indeed possible that the fruit will moldy after awhile, but definitely not in such a short period. It survived that many waves of 'loops', why did it suddenly become moldy in only max. 1-2 hours? I think it was an useless addition to the movie, making it even more confusing. 

While on the boat we see three different Jess characters (in one scene), first the one we follow, let's call her the innocent Jess. Then there's the second Jess, the Jess that it's in her second loop basically, I call her the not so innocent Jess (actually, she's also part of innocent Jess, since first Jess 'evolves' to second Jess) and then there's the third Jess, basically the mean Jess. I think she's in the loop where she has been home again already and goes on the ship again to save her son, she's much more violent and wants to get rid of everybody as soon as possible. She knows what's up with the situation and wants to get rid of it very quickly. But well, when you start thinking about that, the innocent Jess is also mean Jess, since innocent Jess already has been through this according to the beginning.... 
According to the Sally's body count (a really good addition by the way) there should have been at least 30-40 loops already, meaning that the Jess we follow will become mean Jess as soon as she arrives at the ship, but then she'll die again meaning that the second Jess that arrived at the boat will become 'main' Jess again.  
I'M SO CONFUSED!!!

Really, I think there are about ten to twenty more problems like these ones that make this movie weird. It's just not right. The whole loop thing is impossible to get right and I think it's a bad idea to make a movie about that. It's just too much to think about, and honestly I can't stop thinking about it. And that's also what makes it interesting, since I literally can't stop thinking about this movie. There's really a lot going on, and you're trying to fit the puzzle together, even though that won't work. 
There are even different ways to look at this movie, that all of this was the after life that Jess experienced after the crash, it's really a lot to take in. 


I wanted to write about acting performances in Triangle, but I'm entirely focused on the storyline. When I started watching this movie I wanted to write about how this was Liam Hemsworth's first big role, I even think that this role is bigger than the ones in the The Hunger Games and Catching Fire. But well, I got focused on something else. Believe me, it's very difficult to get my thoughts go away from Liam Hemsworth in a movie ;). 

Triangle is an interesting but incredibly confusing and incorrect movie. Still I somehow always enjoy watching it. Every time you'll notice new things and hopefully I'll discover the right story someday. If you don't like to think about a horror movie, don't watch it. It really is a frustrating movie. But next to the storyline there's also a lot more to watch, good acting and spectacular images. 

My personal rate: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..