Friday 15 August 2014

Review: Odd Thomas (2013)

Odd Thomas
Genre: Ghost, Comedic
IMDB rate: 6,8

I finally found a way to access the American Netflix as of yesterday and WOW, what a huge amount of horror movies does it offer! Seriously, in the Dutch version of Netflix we have perhaps 20 movies and it's all movies that I've already seen. But the American version offers so incredibly much interesting (but also a couple very bad) movies. Even the TV shows that it offers are so much more interesting. Anyway, I'm trying to watch a shit-load of horror movies on Netflix, so expect a whole lot of reviews ;). 

I just started with this first movie on the list that I haven't seen yet, which was the movie Odd Thomas. I had no idea what it was about, nor did I do any research for it. I knew the guy on the cover of course, Anton Yelchin, and he plays in quite a few good movies. 
Small-town fry cook Odd Thomas is an ordinary guy with a paranormal secret: he sees dead people, everywhere. When a creepy stranger shows-up with an entourage of ghostly bodachs -predators who feed on pain and portend mass destruction - Odd knows that his town is in serious trouble. Teaming up with his sweetheart Stormy and the local sheriff, Odd plunges into an epic battle of good vs evil to try to stop a disaster of apocalyptic proportions. 


Odd Thomas is an interesting movie I thought. The storyline wasn't very renewing or anything, but it still was a fun watch. It has a slight comedic twist, I think it's a bit comparable with the sarcastic undertone of Warm Bodies. The storyline is quite standard really, a guy who sees ghosts saves people by following ghosts, a slight twist to this are the bodachs. These bodachs are quite awesome looking, a bit solid water like. Their body is almost invisible, like water, but it's also solid. It really looks awesome. 

The acting is very good, I think Anton Yelchin is a very good young actor and I'm very excited to see him in more movies in the future. He plays such a good role in one of my favorite movies, Alpha Dog, and while this movie is completely different, his acting is still very good. Willem Dafoe also plays quite a big role in this movie, I think it's a very different role from what we usually see him in, but that's actually quite nice, this role fitted him well.

The filming is done very nicely, it fastens through unimportant parts and slows down at epic moments. It was a very comfortable way of watching things.

The movie is a bit slow at times, it's sometimes very difficult to keep interested because somehow the point of the movie doesn't come across very clearly. Well, you know the point of the movie of course, but it's difficult to keep focused on it for some reason. There's a whole lot of cheesy romance going on between Odd and Stormy, which might become annoying (or cute, whatever you like).


While the first half is nice, but hard to keep interested to, the second half gets a lot better. It actually became kinda tensive when Odd had to race against the clock to stop the bad guys. I do wish they did more with these bodach creatures though, they were so awesome but hardly had any use for the movie. I mean, Odd probably would have figured things out as well just by his dream, I think.
The ending was pretty sad, and to be honest, a few tears were spilled.

It's a good movie. It's not very scary but it's a fun watch. It's also quite standard but well, it's nice enough to like it. The acting was pretty good and so were the special effects.

My personal rate: 6/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..