Saturday 2 August 2014

Review: Se7en (1995)

Se7en
IMDB rate: 8,7
Genre: Thriller, Serial Killer

Se7en is one of my all time favorite movies, I've seen it a billion times already and it still gives me goosebumps. Brilliant acting performances by Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman, and of course Kevin Spacey. 

Perhaps Se7en isn't a right movie for a horror blog, but I think it's definitely worth writing at least a bit about it. It's very unsettling and it contains some dark images. 

Se7en is inventive and shocking, it's brutal and dark, and it's damn well-written. It has a perfect combination between a visual style that's very dark, amazing acting and some good plot-development. The first time I watched it, I was shocked by this movie, but I also loved it because it was this shocking. It's just incredibly good! Also, very unsettling soundtrack, perfect fitting by this movie.


It starts of like any detective movie: somebody died and they need to find out who did it. When another person dies they figure out that the cases are connected. There are seven sins, and there will be seven punishments, meaning there will still be 5 other murders. 
Now, this is all very standard and still doesn't seem very outstanding (story-wise). But things get really surprising near the end, and that ending makes it 

That Brad Pitt is an amazing actor is already know. His roles in Snatch, Fight Club and Se7en aren't even slightly comparable, but he did amazing jobs in all of them. I think his character in Se7en is very under-appreciated. He's a pissed off guy and seems to have some difficulties with controlling his anger. Thus making his task at the end of the movie very difficult. 

There's not a whole lot more that I can say about this movie. I really loved every bit of it, there's nothing I can think of that bothered me in this movie. Great job David Fincher, you've made a true masterpiece.

My personal rating: 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..