Monday 22 September 2014

Review: House of Wax (2005)

House of Wax
IMDB rate: 5,3
Genre: Slasher

House of Wax is one of those movies that I've watched at least ten times already, and every time I watch it I'm still a bit impressed by it. Of course, this remake has a few bad points, we all known what is the worst about this movie. For those who don't know, I'll explain to you later. But besides this one tiny thing I think it's a good movie. I must admit that I've never seen the original House of Wax (1953), but what I've read about it, it's not very much like the remake, besides the wax sculptures of course.


Now, let's immediately start with the worst part of this movie, being of course.... Paris Hilton. If I have to choose one terrible miscast over all the horror movies I've ever seen I would immediately choose Paris Hilton in House of Wax. This woman is only known because her daddy is very rich and because her sex-tape was leaked online, people wouldn't pay attention to her for one second if it wasn't for her family name. I think the movie creators didn't do any research about her or her acting abilities, I mean, she's in at least four movies in the IMDB Bottom 100 list, that's not without reason! On the trivia page of House of Wax I read that first they considered Kate Winslet and Jennifer Connelly for her role, both not great choices for the role, but still a 100% better choice compared to Paris Hilton. I'm glad that she didn't get a whole lot of screen time, because she's just a horrible actress that has the potential to make a good movie like this less good. Also, not very surprising is that she was running around in her underwear while escaping from the killer... the way she was killed was pretty cool though.

Okay, my rant is done... up to the more positive side of this review! First of all, great actors (besides you-know-who) in this movie. I think Chad Michael Murray plays his role as bad boy very good. He often plays the 'hunky' boy in movies, and well, he sort of does in this movie but with a nice attitude to it. I recently saw him in The Haunting in Connecticut 2: Ghosts of Georgia and there he plays a father, which he does quite well too (horrible movie, but I liked him in it). Anyway, he plays a bit of a prick in this movie, but he's very tough as well, his acting is really outstanding in this movie I must say. Elisha Cuthbert plays his twin sister Carly, and I must say that her acting is pretty good in this movie. I liked her as well in The Girl Next Door, but for example in Captivity she wasn't very good (also a shit movie). Jared Padalecki plays a bit of a small role in this movie, it would've been nice if his role was bigger since he's quite a good actor. The bad guy being played by Brian Van Holt did an amazing job as well, he sure scared me at moments.

The music in this movie is pretty awesome, we hear tracks by Disturbed, The Prodigy and Marilyn Manson, which are very nice and fitting for this movie! The camera switched a few times to the hand camera of a dude, which gave a pretty creepy feeling as well. The gore is pretty nasty in this movie, for example the moment Paris Hilton got stabbed in her foot was kinda gross, but cool as well. Or the moment Elisha Cuthbert's character got her lips super glued together, and then they cut her finger off, so awesome.


The town is very awesome. I personally love movies with abandoned towns and stuff, and this specific town already has the creepy vibe over it, even when you don't know why yet. The wax statues are scary as hell, even more so when you figure something out about this town. No, but in all seriousness, I love these sculptures, they really are scary. Especially the old lady at the window!

I really like this movie, it's quite good. The effects look amazing, for example the beginning of when the house burned down was very cool, even though after a while it began to look fake. The acting is very good, but I'm very bummed out that they choose Paris Hilton for this movie. Every time I watch this movie I hope it will end differently, that they don't start snooping around and just leave the town and live happily every after. Unfortunately this never happens :).

My personal rate: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..