Saturday 18 October 2014

Carrie (2013)

Carrie

IMDB rate: 6,0
Genre: Supernatural
Starring: Chloƫ Grace Moretz, Julianne Moore, Gabriella Wilde

For those who've read many of my reviews know that I'm not a big fan of 'old' movies. Maybe because I grew up in the time of remakes, I don't know. This is of course not the case with every old movie. I did  liked the original movie of Carrie a lot, and for the first time ever I watched the original movie before the remake. I don't do this on purpose, it's just often that the remakes are being released and I end up watching them before I watch the original. Globally speaking, remakes aren't much appreciated, even though there are a few very good ones around, dare I say it - some are better than the original. However, this is not the case with the newest Carrie movie. At least, not in my opinion. 


There's not a whole lot bad to say about the Carrie remake though, simply because it's almost an exact copy of the original. In my opinion, remakes are good when they have something to offer that's better. For example, The Hills Have Eyes is an amazing remake. The reason why it's a great movie is because the savages are looking way scarier compared to the original, it's not just a more modern version, it's really an update compared to the original. Same thing with Dawn of the Dead, the original is nice and stuff, but in my opinion the zombies don't look very scary. In the remake they are made really gross and  scary, which haves a much bigger effect on the viewers. The story is also changed a bit, perhaps not the greatest change, but the one who made it apparently thought it needed a change. Back to the subject, in Carrie there's no big changes, no update what so ever. The only big difference is that the shameful moment of Carrie in the shower is being posted online, that's it. In my opinion, it's a bit of a useless remake.

Because it's an useless remake doesn't mean it's a bad remake. It's a decent movie, but because it doesn't offer nothing new it's just literally an exact copy of the first Carrie movie. The deaths are slightly different, there's an useless pregnancy involved, the annoying spinning scene isn't copied and there's some use of social networking, these small changes just don't need an entirely new movie, I think.

Now, back to the actual movie quality. I think Chloe Moretz is an amazing young actress, who played in quite a few horror movies already (Let Me In, The Eye, Amityville Horror). I don't mind seeing her in horror movies though, she was great in every one of them. I must admit though that I wasn't entirely convinced with her playing Carrie White. Her insecurity seemed a bit over-the-top, making it less convincing. Also, I think she's way to pretty to play such an odd girl, especially compared to Sissy Spacek who has a bit of an odd look, making her much more believable. Julianne Moore as the mother wasn't a bad choice, she somehow seemed a bit less crazy compared to Piper Laurie.


There were a few casting choices who weren't a good choice at all. For example, Gabriella Wilde as Sue Snell and Ansel Elgort as Tommy Ross. They were totally unbelievable as a couple who would feel for Carry, since they both look like the biggest assholes themselves. They were just one of those typical American High-school movies lovers who love to bully, instead of helping them. This is of course pretty much based on their looks, I just didn't like them as Sue Snell and Tommy Ross. The girl who played Chris Hargensen (Portia Doubleday) was the worst actress ever by the way, she wasn't convincing at all, terrible casting choice as well. 

The supernatural powers of Carrie are used a lot more in this movie, personally I liked this a bit more since in the original Carrie movie there wasn't much focus on her powers. The death scene of Chris was also fucking brutal, something that was a cool addition to this movie as well compared with the original. 

Every time when you've watched some original version of a movie and the remake you can't help but compare the two, I know that this review is a lot of comparing, but well, all I want to say with it is that I personally liked the first Carrie better. Perhaps when I had first watched the remake and after that the original my thought would be entirely different, but of course I can't check that. Carrie is a nice movie, but I wouldn't call it great. For the better Carrie experience I would recommend watching the original. 

My rate: 6/10


No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..