Sunday 23 November 2014

Mercy (2014)

Mercy

IMDb rate: 5,1
Genre: Possession
Starring: Chandler Riggs, Dylan McDermott, Frances O'Connor

A few weeks ago I watched Mercy on Netflix. I had no idea what it was about since I just clicked the first movie I saw. The poster was somewhat questionable, but it seemed decent enough. The cast existed from Dylan McDermott who I liked pretty much in the first season of American Horror Story and Chandler Riggs who I don't like a whole lot in The Walking Dead, but they were familiar names so I thought I should give it a go. Mercy is by the way based on the short story Gramma from Stephen King. I haven't read it myself unfortunately, but perhaps I might come across it someday.

Mercy is about a grandmother who is very ill and her daughter who takes care of her along with her two sons. While around the grandmother weird things start to happen which leads to the suspicion that she has mystical powers.


The first thing that I noticed about this movie was the horrible sound-mixing. I had to turn up the volume almost to the max to be able to hear what they were saying. The most horrible thing about this was that the music and special effect sounds were way too loud this way. So the voices were almost silent, while the effects were way too loud. This is something I hate incredibly much. Perhaps it's done on purpose so that people will turn their volume up, making the special effects sounds incredibly loud so that people will scare from that sound rather than from the happening on screen itself. If this is the case it really would be a sad attempt at making a movie, considering they need high sound effects to scare the people.

The story seems to be kinda random, it doesn't really fit together. It's as if the story is all over the place. The beginning is already very weird where the grandma has some sort of episode where she seems more possessed than sick, although the family seems to react fairly neutral to this episode of strangeness. In my opinion there's too much going on in this movie. There's a brief scene where we can see a cut on the arm of one of the brothers that was apparently caused by the grandma, this is just thrown in to shown how 'dangerous' the grandma is and has no further use at all. There's also a storyline about her husband that killed herself, and also about her tripling children where two out of three are a bit crazy. Oh, and an imaginary friend. They try to tie these lines together but in my opinion they fail miserably at it.

Not a big fan of the acting either. Chandler Riggs is pretty much the main character but I think he's no good actor at all. I'm not a fan of him in The Walking Dead but at first I thought his character was just annoying, but after seeing this movie I can honestly say that I don't think he's a good actor. Dylan McDermott plays a fairly small role in this movie, and his storyline makes the thing even more weird. His acting wasn't too bad, but his role was too small to really notice him.


The movie was also pretty dark. Not in the amazingly shocking way, but in the way that the lightning was terrible. When the predictable scares were finally pushed aside the movie was going to a somewhat interesting part, but when hell broke loose I could not see a thing from what was happening. There were a few shadows moving and some terribly mixed sounds going on, but I have no idea what was really going on because it was simply too dark to see.

Mercy isn't a good movie at all. It's filled with soft speaking voices, loud special effects and terrible lightning on parts that might've been somewhat interesting. The acting of the main character was not very good and the character weren't interesting at all. The story was not logical at all, at one point where they attempted to tie the lines together they fail so miserably at it that you actually don't really know anymore what the hell is going on.

My rate: 3/10 

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..