Monday 30 March 2015

The Quiet Ones (2014)

The Quiet Ones

IMDB rate: 5,1
Genre: Possession
Starring: Sam Claflin, Olivia Cooke, Jared Harris

Last year I was actually kinda curious about The Quiet Ones, the trailer seemed nice and there are a few excellent actors starring in it. I had no idea what it was about though. I did not like it a whole lot since it lacked any depth and it was just boring sometimes. Also the words "based on a true story" aren't very scary anymore either since every horror movies seems to add these words to the movie nowadays.

In 1974, in Oxford, Professor Joseph Coupland invites his introspective student Brian McNeil to film his research about the supernatural with his two assistants, Krissi Dalton and Harry Abrams, and the subject Jane Harper. Jane is a young woman with no memory from the past that has been abandoned that believes she is possessed by a doll named Evey that gives telekinetic power to her. She is kept awake in an isolated house with a doll, where Prof. Coupland intends that she puts her evil energy in and then destroy the doll to healing Jane. Strange things happen in the house happen in the house and Brian feels sorry for Jane and he researches her tattoo, learning an evil secret about the past of Jane.


The Quiet Ones was not the movie I hoped it would be, it was boring and quite unoriginal. The worst though about this movie was the HORRIBLE sound mixing. When I had the volume on a normal level, the 'scary' moment where ten times as loud, while I still couldn't hear the people talk. So what to do? Do I turn up the volume to hear the people talk, or do I turn the volume down because of the insanely loud scare effects? Luckily I had subtitles on, so I gave The Quiet Ones a big 'fuck you' and turned the volume down. For real though, the sound differences were unbearable. First sign your movie sucks: the scare effects are only 'scary' because the sound is loud.

It's a shame that something as silly as volume can ruin so much in a movie. Although the sound mixing sucked, the rest wasn't much special either. I think the movie had some potential, especially because the location was awesome. Every time something scary or interesting could happen the opportunity wasn't used fully which lead to... well, a boring movie.

The best part about this movie was the acting, which really wasn't too bad. I like Sam Claflin quite a lot, of course mostly from The Hunger Games movies, but also from Pirates of the Caribbean. Olivia Cooke seems to become a newcomer in horror movies, which I don't mind at all since I quite like her. She also plays in Bates Motel which is one of my favorite TV shows of the moment. Jared Harris performs excellently as well in The Quiet Ones, unfortunately, even his performance couldn't save this movie.


Some part were kinda cool, such as when Jane's hand caught fire. Other moments were quite laughable though. There's even this moment with the worst special effect I've ever seen. The characters are poorly written, there's no development at all. But well, the story is poorly written as well, so what can you expect. At some moments I had no idea what was going on anymore, some stuff just did not make any sense.

The Quiet Ones is a boring movie, which bases it's scares purely on increased sounds. If you're looking for a scary movie, don't go for The Quiet Ones. Great acting, great setting but such a poor story.

My rate: 4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like..